Saturday, December 12, 2009

I'm Not A Writer. How Can I Blog?

Well, first of all .... no one is asking you to write a book or even an article! So get that fear out of your mind right now!

However, many people do struggle with putting their thoughts into a written format. You've got a great thought but just can't present it so it even appears interesting? Ever go through that? Stare at the paper endlessly? One tip that I hope helps you is to remember with most blogs you are not "writing to" your readers - you are "speaking with" your readers.

With blogs, more than "telling/presenting/informing" (depending upon your "why") you usually want to share, confide, ask, explore, be conversational, etc. I will often pretend my audience is a single person sitting at my desk and I start writing the same way I would speak to that person, right at my desk. Sometimes I even have an imaginary conversation "out loud" just to get me started. It works every time, so I say to "you" .... if you can speak, you can write on a blog!

Here are some additional mindsets that might help you:

  • Talk about something that recently happened! What happened the previous day with a client or prospect? Was there something unique in the interaction? Why did they buy from you, did something funny happen, was it a disaster, did you learn something, etc.
    d
  • Tell stories about people who have benefited from what you offer. Invite your readers to compare themselves to your story. .."Did you ever?" "Have you ever tried?"
    d
  • Share what is going on inside your own head about your business. Get more personal. Talk about a growth plan, a challenge met, etc. Ask for input. If you are using your blog as a backdoor to your business this type of posting from time to time can create a bond and build trust.
Notice at all times in the above paragraphs I used the words "talk"- "tell"- "share"- "speak" .... it's not writing, it's simply talking! So get over your "writing blind spot" and think of those people out there that want to hear your stories and know about what you do and why. Stop worrying and just do it. It gets easier with practice, I know that for sure!

Please let me know if this helps you. Do you have other challenges with getting words onto your blog? As always you are invited to share with us publicly here with a comment or via a private message to me. I welcome your input.

Keep your business growing ...
margie





No comments: