Thursday, January 7, 2010

How Do You Answer Your Business Phone?

How do you answer your business phone? Wow ... have you ever really thought about that one little moment that happens throughout the day?

The topic came to my mind as I was spinning some ideas on ways we all "secure our connections" throughout the day. I remembered a sales manager I had a long time ago who when he answered your call made you feel like you had made his day. It made me feel so good.

At one point while working for this boss, my desk was within hearing distance of his office. I learned that he answered all his calls the same way. It did not disappoint me, it impressed me. Such a simple little step to take to strengthen bonds!

It's not as easy as it sounds. I am still trying to implement it consistently and am going to make it be a point in 2010.

Think about it .... try it! I know some of you already do this ... well. Some of us do it with people we really want to hear from, but not everyone. And then there are others of us who can get off track with anyone who calls us, as we work at home alone with our thoughts.

Here's how my x-boss did it. You make a point of a pleasant hello. Upon hearing who is calling you simply say with joy, "John ... hi, how are you?" Saying their name out loud back to them always strengthens connections ( anywhere you use it .... good and bad :-) ) Don't over-do it, as that can look somewhat false .... just stick with pleasant as you begin and include that name.

So here's my challenge ... let's all try it, starting the moment you read this. We make "everyone" who calls us feel like they have made out day. We check back with each other in one month, February 8th ... just marked my calendar. I'll do another posting with my experiences and let you share yours as well.

Keep your business growing ...
margie






No comments: